Shaken Baby Syndrome
- For parents in the state of West Virginia – www.safesoundbabies.com
- The National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome – www.dontshake.org
- The Shaken Baby Alliance – www.shakenbaby.com
Child Safety Information
- Use the locator at www.nhtsa.gov/cps/cpsfitting/index.cfm to find a child safety seat inspection station nearest you. Certified technicians will inspect your child safety seat and show you how to correctly install and use it.
Baby Blues and Postpartum Depression
- Postpartum Support International, www.postpartum.net, is dedicated to helping women suffering from perinatal mood and anxiety disorders, including postpartum depression, the most common complication of childbirth. PSI also works to educate family, friends and healthcare providers so that moms and moms-to-be can get the support they need and recover. 800.944.4PPD (4773) – PSI’s toll-free Help Line refers callers to appropriate local resources including emergency services.
- MedEdPPD.org is a Web site developed with the support of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) to provide education about postpartum depression (PPD).
- Mommies Cry Too, www.mommiescrytoo.com, is a peer-to-peer website created for and by postpartum sufferers and survivors.
- womenshealth.gov, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Depression During and After Pregnancy.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255):Suicide hotline, 24/7 free and confidential, nationwide network of crisis centers, www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
- WV Smoking Cessation Quit Line — Provides information and materials on quitting tobacco, pharmaceutical support, and individual phone coaching for individuals who wish to quit smoking.
- West Virginia Prescription Drug Abuse Quitline — 1-866-WV-QUITT (1-866-987-8488), Provides education and self-help materials on drug treatment and abstinence, and assistance to individuals who have a family member or loved one who is abusing substances.
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — 1-800-662-HELP (4357), A national referral helpline and on-line resource for locating drug and alcohol abuse treatment programs.
- National Substance Abuse Index, 1-877-340-0184
Safe to Sleep
- Safe to Sleep — The Safe to Sleep® campaign has information and materials for many audiences, including parents, grandparents, and health care providers.